Kevin Starr is a co-founder of Third Rock Ventures with more than 25 years of experience building and leading biotechnology companies. Kevin’s focus has been on the formation, development and strategic governance of our portfolio companies. He has been actively identifying and evaluating new investments for our first three funds, where he also helped successfully raise $1.3 billion for Third Rock. Kevin contributes as an advisor to our Fund IV portfolio companies and will continue to play active board roles in our current Fund I, II and III portfolio companies. In many of these companies, Kevin functioned as chief executive officer through the first 12-18 months after launch. His portfolio company roles include:
- Chairman of the board of directors and former interim CEO of Decibel Therapeutics
- Board member of MyoKardia
- Board member of PanOptica
- Chairman of the board of directors and former interim CEO of Sage Therapeutics
- Board member and interim CEO of Agios Pharmaceuticals
- Board member of Global Blood Therapeutics
- Board member and interim CEO of Afferent Pharmaceuticals
- Former board member and interim CEO of Zafgen Pharmaceuticals
Prior to Third Rock, Kevin served as chief operating officer and chief financial officer at Millennium Pharmaceuticals, where he helped raise billions of dollars in capital through strategic alliances and public financing and drove the company’s growth through organic expansion and mergers and acquisitions. Earlier in his career, he served in various executive roles at Biogen and Digital Equipment Corporation. He is currently a board member of Alnylam Pharmaceuticals. Kevin holds an M.S. in corporate finance from Boston College and a B.A. in mathematics and business from Colby College.
Kevin is a founding investor in Prospect Pictures, which produced the hit Broadway show turned movie "Rock of Ages."