Neil Exter joined Third Rock Ventures in 2007 and has more than 20 years of business development and strategic experience facilitating the successful development and implementation of operations and collaborations across the spectrum of newly emerging and established biotechnology companies. He plays an integral role in the formation, development and business strategy for portfolio companies. Neil has served in key leadership roles in our portfolio companies:
- Interim chief operating officer at Goldfinch Bio
- Board member of Cibiem
- Board member of CytomX Therapeutics
- Board member of Element Science
- Board member of Pliant Therapeutics
- Board member and former interim CBO of REVOLUTION Medicines
- Board member of Rhythm Pharmaceuticals
- Board member of Motus Therapeutics
- Former interim CBO of bluebird bio
- Former interim COO of Constellation Pharmaceuticals
- Former interim CBO of Foundation Medicine
- Former board member of Lotus Tissue Repair (sold to Shire)
- Former board member of Seventh Sense BioSystems
Prior to joining Third Rock, Neil was chief business officer of Alantos Pharmaceuticals, leading the sale of the company to Amgen, and earlier, served as vice president for Millennium Pharmaceuticals, directing in-licensing and M&A. Earlier in his career, Neil held various executive and senior management roles within the high technology industry, including tenures at Hewlett Packard and Wang Laboratories. Neil holds an MBA as a Baker Scholar from Harvard Business School, an M.S. from Stanford University and a B.S. from Cornell University. He is a member of the Research Committee of Children’s Hospital Boston, a member of the investment committee of the Innovation Research Fund and Innovation Advisory Board at Partners Healthcare and the treasure and a member of the board of directors of the New England Venture Capital Association. In addition, Neil serves as a member of the Advisory Council of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at Cornell University and the board of visitors of Columbia College.
In college and post-college, Neil competed in several air guitar contests. He played air drums and air guitar.